Re: [04/05] Embedded with systemd: systemd and kernel upgrades

Le 16. 11. 14 19:52, Robert a écrit :
This was recently posted on #systemd-devel:

"To make this clear, we expect that systemd and kernels are updated in
lockstep. We explicitly do not support really old kernels with really
new systemd. So far we had the focus to support up to 2y old kernels
(which means 3.4 right now), but even that should be taken with a grain
of salt, as we already made clear that soon after kdbus is merged into
the kernel we'll probably make a hard requirement on it from the systemd
side."

This is a very onerous requirement in the embedded world. There are many
embedded platforms sold today that only have 2.6.X BSPs. While I agree
that the BSP from vendors should be better (and it is getting better
thanks to devicetree), it seems that we are doomed to run ancient
userspace to match our ancient kernels.
If you take the risk to rely exclusively on a vendor BSP, take your responsibility and don't blame others for your poor choice. Most today SoC vendors understand that there must upload there patches to mainline kernel and do it routinely. This means that while some vendors still offer BSP (because there have clients asking for it), last mainline kernel run as well just fine on there SoC.
This change will probably hit me the hardest and for me it really cuts
into what linux means. It used to be that I could run the same userspace
on my tiny embedded device, my desktop or on the server --- the only
difference being the kernel.
Why did you not try to run the last mainline kernel for your SoC instead of an outdated BSP ? This will immediately solve your problem.
It seems like the only solution here is to abandon debian and fall back
to OpenEmbedded or buildroot.

Fell free to try it all. I have do that since many years and found that the Jessie armhf port is actually vastly superior to anything out there.

Regards,

JCdR