Re: Enquiry about building a new root file system

On Thu, Aug 21, 2014 at 09:43:13PM -0500, David Lechner wrote:
> The .preinst files is something that I have not yet taken the time
> to understand as well as I should yet, so you should not trust me as
> absolute expert on this. It is my understanding, though, that when
> multistrap runs, there is nothing in the chroot, so preinst scripts
> can't run before we unpack because there is no /bin/sh or any of the
> commands or programs that the scripts will use.

Preinst scripts may expect all Essential:yes packages (and their
dependencies) to be installed and configured on the system.  The
exception is obviously preinst scripts of Essential packages; they may
expect all those packages to be unpacked.

So the proper order of events would be:
- unpack essential packages
- run preinst of essential packages
- run postinst of essential packages
- run preinst of other packages
- unpack other packages
- run postinst of other packages

I'm not surprised if during bootstrap all Priority:standard and higher
packages are treated the same, even if not all of them are Essential.

Thanks,
Bas