Re: Enquiry about building a new root file system

On 08/21/2014 09:50 AM, Jean-Christian de Rivaz wrote:
I just tested the first method on that page (Multistrap) and I suspect that the information need an update, because Lenny source don't exists anymore and Grip is now a dead end according to the EmDebian front page. Generally, EmDebian is hard to follow because there is a lot of outdated information on the site and it's very difficult to sort between the obsolete/unusable and actual/tested information. I have read a lot of pages on the site and I am still lost on how is the best/recommended way to start a new cross embedded project based on Debian Jessie

A possible way to improve the situation could be to define a popular use case, for example creating a complete armhf image on a amd64 host mixing standard package from the distribution and local package from cross-building, and to maintain a tested tutorial on how to do this from a clean system.

I am working on a (just for fun) project to run jessie on the LEGO MINDSTORMS EV3. We are using multistrap to create the root file system. One of the most useful things I found was a script called polystrap[1]. At that point in time, we were still using wheezy, but have since move to jessie. We have evolved the polystrap script into a tool we call brickstrap[2][3]. We've updated some stuff from polystrap that is specific to jessie (like a new ssh host key type and systemd stuff). Hopefully it is still extensible enough that it could be useful to you. A couple of notes: we are using ubuntu trusty 64-bit for our build system, however multistrap and libguesfs are both broken at the moment, so we are hosting our own patched versions of these tools. Also, you might check out josch's bootstrap.debian.net project[4]. I don't know anything about it, but it is designed for this sort of thing.

[1]: https://blog.mister-muffin.de/2014/01/11/why-do-i-need-superuser-privileges-when-i-just-want-to-write-to-a-regular-file/ [2]: https://github.com/ev3dev/ev3dev/wiki/Using-brickstrap-to-cross-compile-and-debug
[3]: https://github.com/ev3dev/brickstrap
[4]: https://blog.mister-muffin.de/category/debian/