Re: PXE Booting Grip

Quoting Neil Williams (2013-10-25 19:50:14)
> On Fri, 25 Oct 2013 18:29:47 +0100
> Dan Hawker <danhawker@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> device is) and quicker because I presumed grip would not have the
>> same level of extraneous guff installed by default, rather than that
>> grip
>
> Whatever you can achieve in terms of fewer packages installed by using
> Grip can also be achieved identically in Debian by careful use of
> --no-install-recommends and careful selection of Priority: important
> packages. None of the dependency chains are modified in Grip. Grip
> does unset the Essential: yes flag which can help with very small
> installs but those would not involve an X environment.

Since you seem ok with NFS, you can get an even smaller runtime
footprint by moving stuff used only "in admin mode" to NFS.  I have in
the past used flashybrid for that and (with a 2.4 kernel) succesfully
maintained a apt-get update-able system on 128MB USB sticks.

Code is here (essentials are the flashybrid lists in defaults.cfg):
http://source.jones.dk/?p=fleshybrid.git
git://source.jones.dk/fleshybrid

 - Jonas