Re: Is anyone successfully using pdebuild-cross on Debian?

On Saturday 27. July 2013 12.01.41 Neil Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 01:29:37 +0200
>
> Paul Boddie <paul@boddie.org.uk> wrote:
> > If I try and keep things simple and use Squeeze to run
> > pdebuild-cross-create and pdebuild-cross, I can get a working chroot
> > but building a package gives me the following error:
>
> Your build instructions are out of date. You need xapt instead of
> apt-cross on Squeeze. embuilddeps is still available.

I was really only following the instructions on the Linaro Wiki...

https://wiki.linaro.org/Platform/DevPlatform/CrossCompile/UsingPdebuildCross

...but I imagine various changes between distribution versions makes it
difficult to expect the recipe to work on Squeeze. In any case, this was just
an attempt to keep things simple by not mixing packages from different
distribution versions: toolchain packages, dependencies and source packages
all coming from Squeeze.

> Use the instructions there for making a permanent change inside the
> chroot to install xapt whihch is available in squeeze.
>
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/emdebian-crush.html
>
> You could also temporarily enable squeeze-backports and install that
> version of xapt, then remove the backport source.

I logged into the pdebuild-cross chroot as follows:

pbuilder --login --save-after-login \
         --configfile /etc/pdebuild-cross/pdebuild-cross.rc

Then I did the following:

cat > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-backports squeeze-backports main
apt-get update
apt-get install xapt
rm /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list
apt-get update

When attempting a pdebuild-cross, I still get the error about apt-cross, so I
don't think I understood the role of xapt here. Nevertheless, this was just an
exercise in choosing a simple configuration, but I think I'm likely to
encounter problems with a somewhat obsolete set of tools.

> > Configuring the /usr/share/multistrap/crosschroot.conf to use Wheezy
> > in the Debian section and then attempting to pdebuild-cross a Wheezy
> > package (in a Wheezy system) ends with errors like this:
>
> Existing pdebuild-cross chroots are fine but installing toolchains is
> not working for Wheezy or later currently.

Is it possible to use Squeeze toolchains with Wheezy? The errors mentioned in
the above quote were encountered with Squeeze toolchains in combination with
Wheezy dependencies and source packages. This kind of combination seems to be
used in the various files found in /usr/share/multistrap, so I thought it
might work.

In this configuration, xapt is installed by pdebuild-cross, but as I mentioned
before, the foreign architecture apt-get operation fails to find packages like
libc6-dev and various build dependencies, and the actual package building
fails in dpkg-checkbuilddeps.

> Work is ongoing on the toolchains, pdebuild-cross is a victim of those
> problems and creating new chroots will remain difficult until the
> toolchains are installable.

I understand this. I was just wondering whether pdebuild-cross was a viable
option at the moment.

Paul