Re: Cross compilers for wheezy (bare and libc)

Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> 1. BARE METAL
>
>   Recently, some people have been wanting to have in Debian, bare
> metal cross compilers for bare metal code, mainly arm-eabi target.
> They have been mainly using the summon-arm-toolchain[1]. We could
> reuse gcc/stage1 packaging[2] (done for testing purposes) and
> configure it similar to summon-arm-toolchain. Does someone have better
> ideas for such purpose?

SAT has been working fine for me; the obvious goal is to not require
glibc :-)

>   Note some people would like to easily be able to use a cross
> toolchain and link against newlib, uclibc and other C libraries. For
> such purpose, a couple git projects were created [3][4]. But maybe we
> should aim to just have only one source tree. If you want to
> contribute to the packaging, please ask to join 'emdebian' project on
> alioth[5] (and you dont even need to be Debian Developer).

I've been using pdclib for my tiny ARM systems; uclibc is a linux C
library, and even newlib requires significant underlying support (it
requires malloc, for instance). It's a lot more like the C library
provided with sdcc or avr-libc.

So, any compiler package will need to allow for a variety of C
libraries at the very least.

>   The idea would be to include this package in the upcoming Wheezy
> release (if we dont miss the freeze deadline).

That would be great, of course, but doesn't leave a lot of time.

-keith