Cross compilers for wheezy (bare and libc)

Hello,

1. BARE METAL

  Recently, some people have been wanting to have in Debian, bare
metal cross compilers for bare metal code, mainly arm-eabi target.
They have been mainly using the summon-arm-toolchain[1]. We could
reuse gcc/stage1 packaging[2] (done for testing purposes) and
configure it similar to summon-arm-toolchain. Does someone have better
ideas for such purpose?

  Note some people would like to easily be able to use a cross
toolchain and link against newlib, uclibc and other C libraries. For
such purpose, a couple git projects were created [3][4]. But maybe we
should aim to just have only one source tree. If you want to
contribute to the packaging, please ask to join 'emdebian' project on
alioth[5] (and you dont even need to be Debian Developer).

  The idea would be to include this package in the upcoming Wheezy
release (if we dont miss the freeze deadline).

2. LIBC CROSS TOOLCHAINS

  For the upcoming Wheezy release, current state of cross compilers
its a bit unfortunate. Only ARM, SH and IA64 cross compilers are known
to build and the rest might need to get fixed.

  Including the cross toolchains in the main Debian archive, at
current state (with -$arch-cross dependencies), might not be worth it
as multiarch is approaching and we should attempt to get them in their
multiarch form. There is currently a Google Summer of Code project on
the topic, but it might be too late to get them for Wheezy.

  Another alternative would be to upload Marcin packages[6], used by
Ubuntu and Linaro, but those might need to be updated to cope with
Debian. Also, these packages use (-$arch-cross) style dependencies.
Currently are only tested for ARM targets, so those might also need
extra work to get the rest of architectures buildable.

  Another alternative would be to try to fix emdebian.org way and
publish wheezy cross compilers, as it has been done for previous
releases. Help welcome.

  Any thoughts? Comments?

[1] https://github.com/esden/summon-arm-toolchain
[2] http://git.emdebian.org/?p=debian/packages/gcc-4.4-naked-cross.git;a=tree