Re: Who is using emdebian-grip-server?

On Thu, 10 May 2012 14:35:32 +0100
Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 May 2012 08:20:43 -0400
> Andrew Bradford <andrew@bradfordembedded.com> wrote:
>
> In that case, you probably don't want it installed.

I'll uninstall and see if I can do what I need to (I assume I can based
on your response).  I probably installed emdebian-grip-server with a
smattering of "throw stuff at the wall and see if it sticks"
mentality.  Stuff stuck, so I assumed I needed everything... now I will
reevaluate.

> Are you going to be using testing migrations? (i.e. are you trying to
> track the same package in both unstable and testing and trying to
> update testing with changes in unstable? This is the area of code which
> causes the most problems with emdebian-grip-server.)

No.  I will only be working with Squeeze.  Once Wheezy goes stable,
I'll be working with Wheezy.

> I'm not sure emdebian-grip-server is going to be suitable for what you
> want, it's designed to do a lot more stuff which you won't be using
> and that extra complexity can make the simpler jobs harder than
> necessary.
>
> If you're only converting a few packages, then apt-grip is the way to
> go.

Ok, I will look more into apt-grip.

> Also, let me know *which* packages you need from Debian because although
> I can't promise to get them into Squeeze via proposed-updates, I can now
> add packages to unstable-grip which, in turn, will eventually form
> wheezy-grip.
>
> File a bug against buildd.emdebian.org for packages which need to be
> added to unstable-grip. (Note: if the package has a lengthy set of
> dependencies which would also be required, the request will be refused.
> Similarly if the package is not currently in testing.)
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGripScripts#Adding_extra_packages

As I nail down which packages I really need, I will follow the
directions.  I expect to fully understand my package needs within the
next 2 months.

> > I've probably missed an important note about how Wheezy will be
> > integrated with Emdebian, sorry if this is a repeat question:  With
>
> http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianIntegration

I will read up!

> The simplest solution is to use apt-grip and feed the packages
> in /var/lib/apt-grip/output to a repository manager like reprepro. That
> would need a little bit of scripting because reprepro will complain
> about including packages at the same version as current but if that
> might suit, file a wishlist bug against emdebian-grip requesting this
> support.

Ok, will keep in mind.

Thanks!
-Andrew