Re: Who is using emdebian-grip-server?

On Thu, 10 May 2012 08:20:43 -0400
Andrew Bradford <andrew@bradfordembedded.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2 May 2012 22:48:58 +0100
> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > So, according to popcon, there are people who have emdebian-grip-server
> > installed. If any of those people are here, please speak up and tell me
> > how you're doing with the scripts.
>
> I'm one of those people in popcon.  Haven't used it much yet,

In that case, you probably don't want it installed.
emdebian-grip-server is an ongoing task, it needs to run a couple of
times a day, every day. (It has a cron task for this purpose but this
needs to be manually enabled.)

> but will
> be in the near future to grip a few (single digit, hopefully) Squeeze
> armel debs.  If I run into issues, I'll shout.

Are you going to be using testing migrations? (i.e. are you trying to
track the same package in both unstable and testing and trying to
update testing with changes in unstable? This is the area of code which
causes the most problems with emdebian-grip-server.)

I'm not sure emdebian-grip-server is going to be suitable for what you
want, it's designed to do a lot more stuff which you won't be using
and that extra complexity can make the simpler jobs harder than
necessary.

If you're only converting a few packages, then apt-grip is the way to
go.

Also, let me know *which* packages you need from Debian because although
I can't promise to get them into Squeeze via proposed-updates, I can now
add packages to unstable-grip which, in turn, will eventually form
wheezy-grip.

File a bug against buildd.emdebian.org for packages which need to be
added to unstable-grip. (Note: if the package has a lengthy set of
dependencies which would also be required, the request will be refused.
Similarly if the package is not currently in testing.)

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianGripScripts#Adding_extra_packages

http://wiki.debian.org/EmdebianIntegration

> will either a set of scripts like emdebian-grip-server be
> available (not just in SVN) or will all Wheezy packages already be
> gripped?

The intention is to remove the need for scripts like
emdebian-grip-server by improving the mechanisms to get new packages
added. (A separate part of the complexity of emdebian-grip-server is
that removing packages is infeasibly hard and this complicates adding
new packages because it makes dependency resolution too complex.)

There is no prospect of all packages from any Debian suite being
completely gripped, that is an impossible amount of work and would
cover packages which are simply not useful for Emdebian (like
OpenOffice).

The simplest solution is to use apt-grip and feed the packages
in /var/lib/apt-grip/output to a repository manager like reprepro. That
would need a little bit of scripting because reprepro will complain
about including packages at the same version as current but if that
might suit, file a wishlist bug against emdebian-grip requesting this
support.

From what you've described, that may well be enough to remove your need
for emdebian-grip-server.