Re: Static compilation: segmentation fault in execution [host=x86_64, target: ia64]

José Luis García Pallero wrote:
> 2012/9/14 Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:

>> Can't you install the libraries you use in binary form in some
>> directory that is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH when you run the "hello" program?
[...]
> Unfortunately, it is not possible any of the 3 options. Users have not
> very much space, so it is impossible to build some software from
> source (a recent gcc compiler, for example). On the other hand, the
> old compiler installed (gcc 3.2.3) is not valid to compile some modern
> libraries. Install debian in a chroot environment is impossible too.

My sympathies.  Is the sysadmin not amenable to providing more room
for shared libraries that could be shared between multiple users?

But in any event, I don't see why this would preclude the first option
quoted above.  I wasn't suggesting building from source on the target
device.  Including copies of shared libraries does take a little more
space than static linking because it means the implementations of
functions you *don't* use are there, too, but in practice it is not
generally that much, and even that problem can be mitigated by the
determined by stripping out unused functions (as is done on the Debian
installer CDs).