Re: Static compilation: segmentation fault in execution [host=x86_64, target: ia64]

2012/9/14 Jonathan Nieder <jrnieder@gmail.com>:
> José Luis García Pallero wrote:
>
>> The example I pasted is very simple. I need to compile programs that
>> link with recent libraries that are not installed in the ia64 machine.
>> For example, libgomp for OpenMP or modern versions of Lapack, PLASMA,
>> etc. And install lolaccly all dependencies from source is not an
>> option. This is the reason for the static link with the libraries in
>> the host machine in which I compile
>
> Can't you install the libraries you use in binary form in some
> directory that is in LD_LIBRARY_PATH when you run the "hello" program?
>
> If you have the space for it, another way is to use debootstrap to
> make a small Debian installation on the machine where you need to
> deploy and chroot in to run your program.
>
> A less extreme approach is to use the LSB toolchain to ensure your
> program makes minimal demands on the operating system where it is
> deployed, as described here:
> http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/workgroups/lsb/build-lsb-compliant-application
> I'm not sure if there are LSB cross-compilers available.

Unfortunately, it is not possible any of the 3 options. Users have not
very much space, so it is impossible to build some software from
source (a recent gcc compiler, for example). On the other hand, the
old compiler installed (gcc 3.2.3) is not valid to compile some modern
libraries. Install debian in a chroot environment is impossible too.