Re: cross-compiler for powerpc

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 14:20:47 +0200
ternaryd <ternaryd@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:13:21 +0100
> Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> wrote:
> > If these are omissions in the wiki page, feel free to update the wiki
> > page.
>
> I tried to do so, but couldn't find the edit-button.

You'll need to create an account - there are still spammers who think
that creating link farms in full-access wikis is a good idea.

> For someone more wiki-proficient then me, here are the changes I would
> make:
>
> - in order to install the basic gcc, mention that -gnueabi is no
>   consistently used across the architectures and that in case of doubt,
>   an apt-cache search for that architecture, and within, for gcc or g++
>   may help. If this is a sid-installation, the repository for squeeze
>   (the regular one, not that of emdebian) is needed.

That should be fixed because gnueabi is armel only. -gnu is more common.

The definitive way to get the information is to use dpkg-architecture:

$ dpkg-architecture -apowerpc

So refer to that command rather than anything related to gcc or g++.

> - although a link to backport instructions is provided, adding a
>   line like
>
>         deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports \
>                 squeeze-backports main
>
>   may be helpful for people already having many pages open.

OK.

> Probably not necessary to mention, that xapt needs -m for sid, unless
> the reader is as ignorant as myself not knowing what is wheezy.

It is worth mentioning because it keeps catching people out.

> I will have a look at Thibault which I didn't even notice when googling
> for cross-compiling under debian. OTOH, I would have expected new things
> to work on sid before on squeeze.

Nah, what happens is that everything breaks in unstable then gets fixed
during the release freeze when the speed of uploads slows down and we
get time to catch up. So we end up with the opposite - things in
unstable are nearly always broken, get fixed (possibly) very close to
the next stable release and then stay fixed in stable. That isn't going
to happen this time as the next stable release (wheezy) will not have a
fully-implemented MultiArch system capable of supporting
cross-building, so the recommendation for wheezy is still to use the
toolchains built and packaged for squeeze. It's *possible* (but only
possible) that Thibault's work could be backported to Wheezy after the
release. Thibault - do you want to comment on that?

> Cross-compiling for powerpc is not my main activity on this computer.

(it rarely is)

> Also, the -m switch almost worked, but it seems that dependencies are
> not followed (as on squeeze), so in order to get libpq, I'll have to
> prepare a libssl, etc. Adding these libraries manually did the trick.
> So, here is one more happy debian user.

Maybe there are alternatives or conflicts in the dependency chain. xapt
doesn't cope with those particularly well which is why we want to get
cross-building working in MultiArch where the real apt will take care
of those dependencies.