Re: gcc

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:14:17 -0700
Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@gmail.com> wrote:

> > You generally shouldn't just create /dev/pts, you should ensure /dev exists and then mount /dev/pts:
> >
> > mount devpts -t devpts /dev/pts
> > (IIRC)
>
> Isn't /dev/pts just the mount point? Without the /dev/pts directory
> 'mount -a' fails.

Create the mount point with the device table, that's equivalent to the
usual practice of using MAKEDEV.

> > Note the support in newer versions of multistrap for repeating the packages line for more readability.
> >
> > If you have networking, you might as well add ntpdate to the packages list and then run ntpdate-debian to set the time.
> >
> > The dash preinst thing *needs* to be done before dpkg --configure -a - it's advisable to do all of these steps in a simple script.
>
> OK, is that just something you have to know? Can it be done from the
> chroot environment? (this was actually the hardest part to figure out,
> the IRC folks helped here)

All maintainer scripts have to be run within a chroot and on-device.
That is implicit in using any packages from Debian.

> > I am aiming to get a backport of multistrap for Squeeze, but in the meantime, it's advisable to use multistrap from Wheezy.
> >

> Is there an option like --enablerepo= to just install the wheezy
> multistrap without affecting the rest of the system?

In the best traditions of perl (although this actually has little to do
with perl other than it's an Arch:all package), there's more than one
way to do it.

Use apt-pinning to put Squeeze as higher priority than Wheezy, then
select the package explicitly:
apt-get install multistrap/wheezy

This is similar to how experimental works, but apt-pinning isn't that
easy.

http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

In the specific case of multistrap, you can simply download the .deb
from Wheezy and install it over your existing multistrap package,
upgrading it.

The generic way of doing that is to go to the PTS for the package, e.g.:
http://packages.qa.debian.org/m/multistrap.html
Click on the version in unstable on the left, select the binary
package, click on all (in this case, or the architecture of your system
if not) and select your mirror.

Alternatively:
0: add a temporary source to your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
1: apt-get update
2: apt-get -d install multistrap
# the -d is important because even if apt wants to download other "updated" dependencies, you only want the one package
3: remove the apt temporary source
4: apt-get update
# to clean the lists of newer versions
5: dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/multistrap_version.blah.blah.deb

Final alternative, which gets a little recursive, is simply to use
multistrap itself with a temporary config file. Copy the sid or wheezy
config file from /usr/share/multistrap and add multistrap to the
packages line. Run multistrap on that config file with a temporary
location, install the downloaded package. If you specify unpack=false
it will save some time and remember to set tidy-up to false.

Of these, apt pinning is the "recommended" way because it helps you get
only the package you want and gives you updates of that package, but it
is also the one which can take the most time to get right and which may
catch you out in the future if you keep the pin in place.