Re: gcc

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 23:44:38 -0700
Paul Thomas <pthomas8589@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, sorry for the delay. I did do some documentation for what I did to
> go from multistrap to booting system with working apt-get. I did it on
> the opencircuits wiki site instead wiki.debian.org (feel free to copy
> whatever).

Initially, I was not allowed to create an account on that wiki behind the firewall when I first tried to test this problem. I've got an account now that I'm accessing it from home, so I've fixed the config file.

> Mostly straight forward. I know multistrap has some support
> for user scripts and device node creation, but for someone working on
> those things this should be easy to follow.
>
> Anyway, here it is:
> http://opencircuits.com/Linuxstamp_II_9260#Emdebian

There is a misunderstanding on that page. "components" is plural and accepts multiple values, most packages are in main, so if you want something from dev, specify main and dev.

You generally shouldn't just create /dev/pts, you should ensure /dev exists and then mount /dev/pts:

mount devpts -t devpts /dev/pts
(IIRC)

or put that in your /etc/fstab

You don't need /dev/pts mounted for configuration, the warnings about logs can just be ignored.

mknod commands can just as easily be done with a device table file which multistrap can then do as part of the config script. For an example, see balloonboard (as advised before). Most of the other steps can be scripted which users will find more reliable than copying commands.

Why do you need the debian apt source? What packages are you trying to get from Debian? (You might as well create a Debian section in the multistrap config and set that section only as an aptsource.) A conf file with that setting is here: http://paste.debian.net/112456/

Note the support in newer versions of multistrap for repeating the packages line for more readability.

If you have networking, you might as well add ntpdate to the packages list and then run ntpdate-debian to set the time.

The dash preinst thing *needs* to be done before dpkg --configure -a - it's advisable to do all of these steps in a simple script.

Please don't assert things about the keyrings without explaining why and/or filing a bug report and take care with the version of multistrap being used, this behaviour has been adapted in recent versions of multistrap.

You could use Emdebian cross-compilers, it's at least worth mentioning. If you're using armel packages, the Emdebian armel cross-compiler is the best cross-compiler to use. If you're getting installation problems, use the toolchain from Lenny or Squeeze.

I am aiming to get a backport of multistrap for Squeeze, but in the meantime, it's advisable to use multistrap from Wheezy.