Re: Debian Social Contract

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 22:51:58 +0200
Yann Dirson <dirson@debian.org> wrote:

> > Multistrap may well need work to handle MultiArch (particularly in the
> > complex unpacking routines which populate /var/lib/dpkg/info) and that
> > will complicate things.
>
> While multistrap gets adapted for MultiArch, and potentially looses
> the ability to deal with squeeze

There's no reason for that to happen. More likely it just won't work
with some packages being converted in unstable/wheezy. The version in
Squeeze really won't be able to use the MultiArch process to have
packages installed from multiple architectures, it would need to use
dpkg-cross as before.

The version in Wheezy and unstable must retain suitability for stable
because stable is our safe haven during the transition.

>, it may be worthy to fork it in some
> way (looks like a better idea than trying to support both worlds), and
> allow simultaneous installation of both flavours.

Hence the message to Wookey re: backports - no need for a fork. (Not
much chance of including it in the next point release.)

What we did before was to put the package in the Emdebian repository
but that multistrap usage is wider than just the Emdebian toolchains.

The version of multistrap already in Squeeze is quite OK as it is but
there are some improvements which can be backported now before the
other changes intrude.

All this is theoretical, there's no evidence of breakage yet and there
won't be until a version of dpkg is in unstable which allows
installation of foreign architecture packages using MultiArch.