Re: Debian Social Contract

[I am sorry that this mail appears to have bounced, so here is a
resend from my debian address]

Jonas wrote:
> Joke aside, I am aware that technical changes are big.  I just expected
> social challenges in finding consensus too, and am glad to learn if that
> is not the case.

Yes, there seem to be social challenges to deal with - or at least my
short and recent experience with emdebian tools seems to show.

Emdebian tools are part of Debian, which is a step in the right
direction for integration of Emdebian into Debian proper.  However, my
experience is that the documentation for this tools has lots of places
for improvements, and that the tools themselves still have a lot of
rough edges.

However, many of the few bugreports I have attempted have been
received as if those two aspects had no importance whatsoever - to the
point of getting told that the manpage is already too large and cannot
hold all information, and that the wiki is a better place for
documentation.  That leaves me wondering what to do about the load of
other reports I would have done - I am already quite discouraged to
invest time in submitting substantial doc patchs (it should be kept in
mind that writing doc is a demanding work, especially when it is about
restructuring doc written by others), although I noted that fixing
obvious typos is still OK ;)

My guts feeling is that such a position gets in the way of usability,
gets in the way of bringing more users to emdebian (if not worse), and
does not match the quality standards of Debian (as a single example,
no core Debian tool has its authoritative documentation in a wiki as
prefered to inside the package).

It would be just great if Emdebian could follow in Debian's step, and
my opinion is that it is even necessary for integration in the Debian
ecosystem.

Best regards,
--
Yann