Re: Fw: Debian powerpc binary compatibility?

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 01:53:29PM +0400, Sergei Poselenov wrote:

>   Is it possible, knowing only the specific CPU type (440, 603, 8540,
>   8560, etc) to say will it run Debian PowerPC Distro or not?

The CPU feature set is pretty conservative, so it should run on almost
any PowerPC (I've successfully run it on a 603e+, for example). If CPU
features give substantial speed gain to a specific package, that feature
is usually selected at runtime (for libraries, this is automatically
done by ld.so, i.e. on AltiVec enabled machines it will search
/lib/altivec before /lib).

   Simon