Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 13:48:19 +0400
From: Sergei Poselenov <sposelenov@emcraft.com>
To: debian-powerpc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Debian powerpc binary compatibility?

Hello all,

Could you please answer some questions, regarding the use of the
Debian powerpc distro for embedded PowerPC system?

- What exact target CPU it is built for? I see here
  http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/inst/install the list of
  supported machines, but how can I understand will the Debian binaries
  work on my board with the specific CPU?
  Is it possible, knowing only the specific CPU type (440, 603, 8540,
  8560, etc) to say will it run Debian PowerPC Distro or not?
  (I understand that there should be a kernel supporting the specific
  board; I'm rather interested in the instructions set used by GCC to
  build the binary images for Debian powerpc distro. In short - what
  "-mcpu=" GCC option is used for build?)

- We are considering to rebuild the Debian distribution, to
  tune the packages for the specific CPU type (enable hardware FP
  support, etc).
  I now the Debian powerpc distro is built natively. Are there any
  details of the build process available, so we could use it in our
  build system?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Sergei