Re: Fixing multistrap dependency issue with -dev packages?

On Tue, 7 Sep 2010 22:22:12 +0100
Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/9/7 Jim Heck <pinball.rules@gmail.com>:
> > The multistrap man page doesn't really go into this
> > kind of detail in its example.

I'll add something to the multistrap section of the Emdebian website.

http://www.emdebian.org/multistrap/

>  Could you provide an example that
> > pulls from a component?
>
> Something like:
>
> [Grip]
> packages=libc6-dev
> #libncurses5-dev libpam-ldap libpam0g-dev libpam-radius-auth
> libcap-dev gawk portmap sysklogd klogd iptables logrotate libssl-dev
> psmisc ssh tftp-hpa less nvi mtd-tools libnss-ldap pciutils libxml2
> libxml2-dev ifplugd libfuse-dev fuse-utils gettext gettext-base
> radiusclient1 libradius1 libradius1-dev libesmtp5 libesmtp-dev tcpdump
> traceroute strace zile file lsof tcl8.4 sysstat binutils bc netcat
> libdmalloc5 libdmalloc-dev

Watch the line wrapping there - most of those packages have gone into a
comment which will be ignored. I haven't got multiline configs working
in multistrap yet, so these would need to be one long line at the
moment.

> source=http://www.emdebian.org/grip
> keyring=emdebian-archive-keyring
> suite=squeeze
> components=dev
> ^^^------

You should specify 'main' if you also specify a different component,
that is why the key name is pluralised.

> But in order to enable all those packages you want in the list, either
> you send a request to this list or create your own local repository
> with the emgripped packages

Whilst it is true that dev/ is not as carefully checked for
dependencies as main/ and some packages may well be missing, there are
quite a lot of -dev packages now in Grip for Squeeze. The build tools
are also there, mostly. I won't be adding lots more packages to main/
but if there are packages in dev/ which are missing their own
dependencies, let me know.

You can also specify a Debian source as a fallback in the bootstrap
section of the multistrap config and apt will try and mix-n-match. This
is more difficult to do with -dev packages which often have strict
dependencies, but it is still worth doing.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/