Re: My work on cross compiler packages

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:16:31AM +0200, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010, Hector Oron wrote:
> > I would even go further and I would try to have all (build-)essential
> > packages provide a consistent -source package, for easier work on
> > bootstrapping $distribution from source.
>
>  I'm not sure build-essential relates; the reason for pushing for the
>  cross-toolchain effort is because we need to bootstrap them on buildds
>  for consumption by end users.  But to bootstrap an architecture from
>  scratch should rather be an extension of our buildd software, or a new
>  software working from the archive -- doesn't need to happen within a
>  regular build.

If you want to extend buildd software to do that, I'll tell you, it is not going to work for several reasons, and Debian is not kind enough to add a new control field for bootstrap depends which means they'll have to maintain and bootstraps does not happen so often.

The same approach can be done by build depending on -source packages and replacing debian/ directory into whatever you, me or anybody else would feel like it. For example, busybox package, how would you like it for this week? Emdebian-crush probably does not need the same as d-i config, nor Emdebian-baked, nor Linaro, nor $any_other_vendor :)

Best regards,
--
 Héctor Orón

"Our Sun unleashes tremendous flares expelling hot gas into the Solar System, which one day will disconnect us."

-- Day DVB-T stop working nicely
Video flare: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap100510.html