My work on cross compiler packages

Hi

As some of you know I am working on cross compiler packages for Ubuntu. Those
of you who know what Emdebian is probably use their repositories for such
stuff. Thats ok - I just want to share with you what my job will bring in near
future and what I have done in last 3 months.

Since 26th April I am working for Canonical as part of Linaro project. Due to
my six years of OpenEmbedded experience I became part of Toolchain Working
Group and started work on packaging. Specification etc are listed on blueprint
page:

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/arm-m-cross-compilers

I started with reviewing gcc-4.4/4.5 and binutils packaging rules and merged
them as much as possible to get rid of *-cross.mk files which went bitrot a
bit. As result we got packages with debug versions of libraries, dependencies
are proper and as a bonus we got libmudflap cross compiled in case someone
needs it.

Currently I am working on bootstraping cross compiler without using dpkg-cross
converted packages (aka Emdebian way). I got it working with Ubuntu Maverick
versions and published all required patches in bugs linked to my blueprint.
Maybe it is not easy to recreate but should work when you will try.

To make it possible I also have to alter contents of *-source binary packages
from binutils/eglibc/gcc/linux to have a possibility to reuse their packaging
rules in new $ARCH-cross-compiler package on which I will work in next weeks.

And here I have a problem. How much of debian/ directory should be provided in
*-source binary packages? Minimal set just to be able to call "dpkg-
buildpackage -b" and get wanted output or rather everything just in case?

Why new $ARCH-cross-compiler package instead of Emdebian way? Think about
buildd and how they work - nothing can be done manually there so we need to
automate whole procedure.

Regards,
--
JID:      hrw@jabber.org