Re: My work on cross compiler packages

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010, Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> And here I have a problem. How much of debian/ directory should be
> provided in *-source binary packages? Minimal set just to be able to
> call "dpkg- buildpackage -b" and get wanted output or rather
> everything just in case?

 So currently, various -source packages do various things; some
 -source packages ship the upstream tarball + patches separately, other
 ship a patched upstream tarball, and in one case it's upstream tarball
 + patches + some rules file to apply them.

 I personally find that very inelegant and inconsistent.

 Since we can't build-depend on the "source of this package", what I
 would find elegant and consistent would be to ship the .dsc + any files
 it references in the -source package.  This is guaranteed to convey the
 full source, we'd have an unified interface for unpacking (dpkg-source
 -x), and we could call the build as usual.
   However, there is no guarantee that the .dsc is in ../ during the
 build of toolchain packages.  In my experience, it is there though.

 What I'd recommend is copying over ../$source_$version.dsc and files it
 references into the -source binary package; if someone isn't happy
 about reading from ../, or has a better idea, they will speak up  :-)
   [ It's of course possible to recreate a similar .dsc by running
 dpkg-source on a copy of ./, but that would be a bit inefficient, and
 would create a slightly different .dsc, albeit with approaching
 contents. ]

    Cheers,
--
Loïc Minier