Re: Crosscompile problem

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010 22:45:28 +0100
Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:

> * Neil Williams <codehelp@debian.org> schrieb:
>
> > Define the PKG_CONFIG_LIBPATH
>
> This only tells it where to look for .pc files. But it doesn't
> make it rewrite certain -L / -I flags - and they *must* be rewritten,
> otherwise they point to wrong locations (into the host system).

That is handled by dpkg-cross.

> > No. sysroot is not a suitable solution for this. Just use the
> > support which already exists.
>
> Crosscompiling w/o sysroot is simply stupid. Period.

If your argument relies on abuse then you've already lost.

> You'll have to do too many hacks for proper path rewriting.
> And: NO, simply using own --prefix+friends will NOT suffice.

dpkg-cross has problems, no doubts about that. We did look at sysroot
but it would only be an interim before Multiarch and there's no point
making two incompatible changes. It's hard enough seeing how to move
from dpkg-cross to Multiarch. Every time anyone looks at it, the amount
of work doubles.