Re: Cross-compiling for powerpcspe

* David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@gmx.de> schrieb:

> Yes, actually we first planned to only rely on Debian and on native
> compilation to keep it simple, stupid.

Especially stressing the word 'stupid'. That's exactly what it is.
No, you definitively want to run hundreds of builds per day on an
heavily constrained device (which most likely won't even be able
to run an compiler) or even in an slow and insufficient hw emulation.
That whole idea is simply ridiculous.

> Cross-compilation on a multi-core machine takes a few minutes.  Note
> that we are using native packages where possible, and only cross-compile
> the stuff that we develop.  Being able to get the binary library
> packages with apt-cross is really cool.

Actually, I'm crosscompiling _everything_, each package in its own
minimal sysroot, always going from leafs to root in the dependency graph.
This way, dozens of indeterminism/unreliability issues in certain
broken-minded package build systems are kept out (eg. crap like AC_TRY_RUN
will break early, as it should do). Behind the actual buildsystem, I have
a whole chain of automated QM tests which tell me when there's anything
suspicious going on.

git://pubgit.metux.de/projects/briegel.git

> See above.  C++ w/ Boost can really ruin your day, resulting in
> never-ending compilations.

ACK. Ill designed. Dont use it, or charge an big extra penalty fee ;-p

cu

 phone:  +49 36207 519931  email: weigelt@metux.de
 mobile: +49 151 27565287  icq:   210169427         skype: nekrad666