Re: Cross-compiling for powerpcspe

> On Fri, 29 Oct 2010 12:18:58 +0200
> David Kuehling <dvdkhlng@gmx.de> wrote:

> For armel targets, I was quickly able to get a fully working
>> cross-compile environment using apt-cross and installing
>> g++-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi toolchain from the Emdebian Lenny
>> repository.

> Why are you cross-compiling? Use native armel packages wherever
> possible and only cross-build those packages which either do not exist
> in Debian or which require functional changes in the final binary.
> Everything else you should get from Emdebian Grip, Grip Baked or
> Debian.

Yes, actually we first planned to only rely on Debian and on native
compilation to keep it simple, stupid.  A server here runs qemu-emulated
mips, ppc and arm Debian resp. ubuntu installations.  However, building
of complex C++ software (lots of templates) takes hours, sometimes days.
Readily available Cortex-A8 hardware (Efika-MX), is not much faster.

Cross-compilation on a multi-core machine takes a few minutes.  Note
that we are using native packages where possible, and only cross-compile
the stuff that we develop.  Being able to get the binary library
packages with apt-cross is really cool.

>> For powerpcspe, it is more difficult.

> powerpcspe packages for Emdebian Grip are being prepared but the
> repository is not ready yet. Use apt-grip to pull the natively built
> packages from debian-ports.

We're not storage space constrained, so using vanilla Debian Squeeze or
Sid powerpcspe packages is no problem to us.  So we're more interested
in the cross-toolchain provided by Emdebian than in the stripped-down
Grip packages.

>> - I wonder what's required to get a pre-build powerpcspe
>> cross-toolchain into Emdebian?  Current gcc-4.4 from Sid seems to
>> work fine.  Would be happy to supply patches if somebody could state
>> what else needs to be done.

> If you have a reason to cross-build at all ....

See above.  C++ w/ Boost can really ruin your day, resulting in
never-ending compilations.

>> - Installing a sysroot via apt-cross is somewhat difficult for
>> powerpcspe since it requires installing packages from both 'sid' and
>> 'unreleased' suites.

> Use xapt

Going to try that.

>> to the binary packages in debian-ports.  E.g. debian-ports contains
>> gcc-4.4_4.4.4-4+powerpcspe4.5.dsc, however the corresponding
>> gcc-4.4_4.4.4.orig.tar.gz is not present on any debian mirror AFAICS.

> Try snapshot.debian.org - debian-ports is often out of date / behind.

That's exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks for the hint.

cheers,

David