Re: apt-cross and xapt

xapt is already in Squeeze as part of the pdebuild-cross package:

$ sudo apt-get install pdebuild-cross
$ man xapt
$ /usr/share/pdebuild-cross/xapt --help

The change is to enhance xapt and put it into /usr/bin but the enhanced
version will still only support installation, not just downloading.

xapt is faster, cleaner and much simpler than apt-cross. It does this
by dropping most of the complexity of apt-cross and therefore some of
the functionality.

Is there are reason you want only to download and convert manually?

Thanks, I will try using xapt this week.

No a single step will work just fine for my purposes. I was merely following the older wiki documentation for building the cross tools, which separated the steps between apt-cross and dpkg-cross. Ultimately the flexibility would be good in Wheezy, but I understand the time constraints for Squeeze.

Note that xapt does not support excluding certain packages from
conversion - this is the main source of bugs in apt-cross and the main
reason for it's removal. xapt downloads and converts all dependencies,
even those which dpkg-cross would not normally convert. It doesn't
actually matter, as it turns out, at least until we can replace the
whole package-renaming-cross-hack with a sane method.

So long as the dependencies are available and complete I don't foresee any problem with the full automation. It is only when things go wrong that the finer controls become needed (usually in the form of override to ignore errors). I was already forcing dpkg-cross using -A, to install some unneeded packages to get around some build dependency checking issues in the toolchain packages, so installing all should be fine for me.

-Jim