Re: multistrap test

On Wed, 12 May 2010 10:49:07 +0200
Marco Hoefle <marco.hoefle@nanotronic.ch> wrote:

> > bootstrap=Debian Grip Updates
> > aptsources=Grip Updates
>
> I installed Debian Squeeze on another PC and there multistrap worked. So
> I suppose it has to do something with apt on Lenny (or with my
> configuration).

For apt in stable (Lenny), you must specify suites, not codenames in the
suite option to multistrap. (The option is called 'suite' for a reason.)

The suite is testing, the codename is squeeze. So instead of lenny, you
must specify stable when using old-style apt.

To test, try to install something from stable on a Lenny box:

$ sudo apt-get install apt/stable

works, compared to:

$ sudo apt-get install apt/lenny

which fails.

This is due to a feature that was put into apt after the Lenny release.
(So apt-get install apt/squeeze works on squeeze or sid.) Multistrap
has not been backported to Lenny so things like this can be expected.

(Yes, the 2.1.4 manpage has this the wrong way around, it can get
confusing for everyone and I'll fix that in 2.1.5).

Suites are NOT the same as codenames - suites change at the moment of a
Debian release, codenames do not. (What is in Lenny now will be in
Lenny after Squeeze has been released, at which point Lenny will
become the 'oldstable' suite, not 'stable'.)

> Another small thing:
> On this new PC with Squeeze I tried to install the arm gcc eabi
> compiler:
> sudo apt-get install gcc-4.4-arm-linux-gnueabi
> it results in unmet dependencies (libgcc1-armel-corss &
> libc6-dev-armel-cross)
>
> I remember my workaround on the Lenny machine was to manually download
> all required packages for the cross compiler from the emdebian site and
> doing a "dpkg -i *.deb".
>
> However, would be nice if a simple apt-get install works.

Use pdebuild-cross from experimental to install cross-building
toolchain within a cross-building chroot (built using multistrap).

Alternatively, make sure you have the stable emdebian toolchain
repository in your apt sources and, for Lenny, use:

$ sudo apt-get install g++-4.3-arm-linux-gnueabi/stable gcc-4.3-base/stable

Toolchain installation will improve but right now, you need to use the
toolchains from Emdebian stable.