Re: can i get/install texlive-latex-extra in grip

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 14:50:37 +0200
C Pfeiffer <pfeiffer@gister.de> wrote:

>  >> but is there intention
>  >> to get texlive-latex-extra into grip
>
>  > Why? Documentation is one of the key things to remove from Grip, it
>  > makes it hard to see why documentation tools are useful. The packages
>  > that do exist in the doc section at generally only there as
>  > incidentals.
>  >
>  > No, I won't be adding this package to Grip. It makes no sense.
>  > Someone'll ask for Ooo next.
>
> Perhaps i get it wrong, but i didn't ask especially for the doc-things,
> texlive-latex-extra and therein some really good latex-packages I had in
> mind.

I referred to documentation-tools - packages that process documentation
(that won't exist in the packages installed). Tools are not much use
without the files to create using those tools.

Find out why the package is needed and whether you can do without it.
Be careful to distinguish between install-time dependencies and runtime
dependencies.

I can't help you with packages that are not in Debian. Probably the
best thing to do is to NOT follow the website instructions (it's rarely
a good idea), package the external software *properly* as a Debian
package and then install that.

> $ apt-get install emdebian-grip
> --> E: Couldn't find package emdebian-grip
>
> my sources.lst
> -->
> deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip squeeze main
> deb-src http://www.emdebian.org/grip squeeze main
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main

emdebian-grip has been moved into the "dev" component because it's
really intended for developers / development modes and it has to bring
in a lot of extra dependencies (like debhelper).

texlive-latex-extra is Architecture: all - you don't need to process
the package with apt-grip on the Grip machine. Install emdebian-grip on
your Debian DESKTOP and run apt-grip there. Simply copy the files
across.

If you really want to do it on the device:

> deb http://www.emdebian.org/grip squeeze main dev
> deb-src http://www.emdebian.org/grip squeeze main

The security updates may or may not install due to dependency changes.
As squeeze hasn't been released yet, there is little point in having
those sources listed. Security support in Emdebian Grip does not exist.
There hasn't been time to do any point releases of Emdebian Grip 1.0
(Lenny). If the security updates have dependencies that are strict,
they won't install on Grip.

> Now I have downloaded the texlive-latex-extra and dpkg -i --force-all,
> this isn't the elegant way I think ?

It won't make much difference - except making your future upgrades ever
harder. Processing texlive-latex-extra will make little difference to
the size of the package.

>  > If the device has enough room for textlive-latex-extra why are you
>  > looking to put Grip on it in the first place??
>
> I know this one would come : )
> I have a visionbox/s100
> (http://wiki.mymediasystem.org/wiki/index.php/Installation_debian_etch_auf_vision_s100),
> with a 4GB SSD. I had an standard debian install on it and was tired of
> 0-byte-truncating the docs. It is used for an pmwiki on the webserver
> with the wikipublisher extension, therefore I need the texlive-latex-extra.
> I gave emdebian/grip a try and was very glad with the size, besides i
> wanted to use the universal OS for my special needs : )

apt-grip is what you need.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/