Re: Platform-specific bootstrapping packages?

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 11:06:06 -0500
Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> wrote:

> Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:08:18 -0500
> > Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> wrote:

> Right, I realize there's no getting around the second-stage
> configuration.  I'm just trying to get the output from first-stage to be
> bootable with no additional work beyond debootstrap et. al., so that I
> can boot it right after debootstrap to launch the second-stage package
> configuration.

So that's things like /etc/inittab, /etc/fstab, tty's, devices -
currently you can do that after running multistrap and future versions
will gain support, along the lines of the old emsandbox mechanisms, to
help automate this stage.

The issues are that the specifics of these changes are not readily
identifiable from the files created by debootstrap / multistrap - they
are truly device-specific. Normally, Debian-Installer does this via
udebs and if the device can support DI, that is the best way to get the
data.

i.e. debootstrap first-stage does not (indeed cannot) do what you think
it is doing. The output of debootstrap first-stage is fundamentally
invalid for all environments and only works natively because it either
copies across the host config or uses half-crippled defaults that are
enough to support logging in under a chroot. (Note the package
description of debootstrap - at no point does it claim that the results
are bootable - debootstrap never bothers with a kernel for starters -
and it explicitly mentions using the results as a chroot.)

http://packages.debian.org/sid/debootstrap

I think you're being misled by the package name. Bootstrap != bootable.

> Right.  I'm not trying to "trick" anything.  I'm just trying to get the
> output from the first stage of debootstrap to be ready-to-boot.  As it
> is now, I have to make minor changes to fstab and inittab before the
> platform can boot to run second-stage.

and those would still need to be made. debootstrap does not create
these files by any reasonable mechanism, it just dumps out something
that is convenient for debootstrap - typically chroot creation in a
native architecture. Then, it tries to copy the host configuration on
top - not exactly helpful for our purposes.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/