Re: Platform-specific bootstrapping packages?

Neil Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 10:08:18 -0500
> Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> wrote:
>

>> Today I use debootstrap to create a basic root filesystem for a foreign
>> architecture, and then manually tweak the fstab and inittab files before
>> booting into that filesystem to run --second-stage.
>>

> Umm, why didn't you use multistrap which is designed for this purpose?

Probably because I'm stuck in a rut of old habits. :)

I'll look into multistrap.

> The problem of configuring the packages after installation will still
> be an issue with foreign architectures. Generally you need to run 'dpkg
> --configure -a' on the real system. It could be possible to do that as
> a first-boot system.

Right, I realize there's no getting around the second-stage
configuration.  I'm just trying to get the output from first-stage to be
bootable with no additional work beyond debootstrap et. al., so that I
can boot it right after debootstrap to launch the second-stage package
configuration.

> Whichever way you do it, it is not safe to just "trick" dpkg into
> thinking that packages are configured when the postinst itself has not
> been run.

Right.  I'm not trying to "trick" anything.  I'm just trying to get the
output from the first stage of debootstrap to be ready-to-boot.  As it
is now, I have to make minor changes to fstab and inittab before the
platform can boot to run second-stage.

>> That makes it
>> certain that the hacks won't be distributed in any other way, however,
>> e.g. the main Debian repositories.
>>

> ... like Emdebian Grip ...

Of course!  That's the intended target, actually.  :)

>> Another idea is to have a platform-specific package that performs the
>> tweaks to fstab, inittab, etc., and then include that package in the
>> debootstrap first-stage step.
>>

> or as can be done with multistrap ....
>

> Try multistrap and come back to me with what it still needs to do.

Ok, I'm getting the hint. :)  I'll RTFM for multistrap, and then post
again if needed.

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff
Embedded systems training and consulting