Re: [RFC] [Cross Toolchain] Multiarch and sysrooted toolchain

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 07:54:49PM +0100, Hector Oron wrote:

> > install anything but libraries and headers into /usr/<triplet> -- so I
> > don't think there is a pressing need to replicate a filesystem hierarchy
> > standard below a triplet directory.

> That is what GNU people expect when building cross tools, they use a
> switch called sysroot for it and it is the recommended way to build such
> cross tools.

As far as I've understood, --with-sysroot gives the path to the target OS
installation so the build can run "fixincludes" and add it to the search
paths; since it should work with a largely unmodified snapshot of the
target OS, they are pretty tolerant with the directory layout there. I
don't believe that is meant as an endorsement of a particular layout, and
it should work fine with --with-sysroot=/usr/<triplet> even with the
current layout.

   Simon