Re: insserv nonsense breaking multistrap in Squeeze

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 03:45:58PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 15:54:32 +0100
Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:

>Looks like multistrap is going to have to run multiple configure >runs, based on the Priority: setting of the packages.
>
>That's doable.

It's not do-able. It leads to a world of pain because the packages listed as Priority: foo are not a complete set that dpkg can configure in one call. dpkg essentially has two modes for configure - specific packages listed, dpkg obeys the strict order you specify or just configure everything with -a and dpkg works out the best order but now that breaks with netbase because dpkg tries to configure it before initscripts. That's the real problem.

Seems to me that even if done through some debian-embedded custom routine, the interfaces used to interact with dpkg is still valid Debian, so the issue might still be interesting for Petter (who, I believe, is insserv maintainer) to improve on, to not ever cause such scary error messages - even if solvable by running dpkg-reconfigre twice.

I'm not sure where the bug lies, still. I don't think insserv is to
blame.

dpkg should be able to work out that netbase must come after
initscripts but how is dpkg meant to know that?

I can't just collect all the package names, omit 'netbase' and then
pass the strings back as one because the *order* of those package names
becomes declarative.

...but isn't insserv a better place to discuss further than here?

Might be caused by insserv being Priority: optional but depended on by sysv-rc which is Priority: required.

 - Jonas