Re: question about buildcross script

Hello,

2009/10/27 Takenoshita Koyo <takenoshita@atmark-techno.com>:
> Are other patches unnecessary to build toolchain same as emdebian's?

All patches are kept, some of them were applied in the past and
already merged into the proper place either debian package or upstream
gcc/binutils.

> There are some patches for gcc-4.3 in the patches directory.
> (gcc-4.3-bootstrap.patch, gcc-4.3-no-biarch.patch)
>
> But they are not used.
>
> Are they unnecessary?

Yes, some of them are unnecessary now (for later gcc's) or just for
testing purposes, like bootstrap patch.

The ideal state would be that if you want to build a cross toolchain
from sources, you basically do:

being libs: linux-libc-dev; libc6; libc6-dev and some other
architecture dependent libraries

apt-get source binutils
cd binutils-<version>
TARGET=<arch> debian/rules binary-cross

apt-get source gcc-X.Y
cd gcc-<version>
GCC_TARGET=<arch> DEB_CROSS=yes DEB_CROSS_NO_BIARCH=yes \
dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot

This is what emchain script (part of emdebian-tools) does, then if we
find broken stuff, patch it and try to push to either Debian or
Upstream.

Note, we are trying to keep this philosophy working but we are also
working towards integrating this into proper Debian and also fit
multiarch (but this is much ahead on time).

Kind regards,
--
 Héctor Orón