Re: Crush 2.0 abandoned

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 03:31:04PM +0200, Hector Oron wrote:
Hi Jonas,
En/na Jonas Smedegaard ha escrit:
On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 01:52:13PM +0200, Hector Oron wrote:
En/na Jonas Smedegaard ha escrit:

Are Crush releases directly tied to Debian releases, with whatever features included that happen to be implemented at time of Debian release?

Yes, Emdebian (Crush & Grip) releases are directly tied to Debian release.

...and that the detailed features you mention above are just some that you _believe_ are likely to get implemented in time for those next Debian releases?

Yes, [snip]

Ok.  Thanks for verifying.  I believe I understand it now.

Or is it that Crush releases are _loosely_ tied to Debian releases - i.e. released no earlier than Debian releases, but possibly much later, depending on how soon wanted features are implemented?

Correct me if I am wrong, but we tight to Debian because we feel that is the way to go, of course we can release later, but our tools that we ship in Debian need to be done by Debian freeze.

I certainly agree with the approach of emdebian being strictly tied to Debian. I only brought up the alternative to clarify what I would consider the opposite of "directly tied". :-)

But, Neil, what do you think on having a debian/rules which points to
debian/rules.d/$native_rules if DEB_BUILD_ARCH == DEB_HOST_ARCH and
debian/rules.d/$cross_rules if DEB_BUILD_ARCH != DEB_HOST_ARCH? With
this and xcontrol, we might be able to make it possible and easy for
crush 2.0, but as you said it might not worth the time if everything
changes.

That would make it posible to have Crush2.0.

Ah. I get it now: A dirty hack intended to be thrown away again right after its release.

I have no interest in rushing dirty hacks to meet a december deadline. I want to release when ready. Which in the context of emdebian means that I want to work towards long term goals and only when they make sense to separate in shorter term milestones does it make sense for me to include such features in in-between releases.

For Crush3.0 or later (after multiarch) we want the same packaging as in Debian, that is the main reason of dropping Crush2.0 development.

If the dream of a Crush 2.0 hinders our vision towards the brighter future for Crush, then let's kill Crush 2.0.

I somehow got the impression that the impressive list by Neil was relevant also beyond the release of Crush 2.0. Is that so?

I am only clever to pick up the place to eat ;-)
What I was proposing here is a half way hack before multiarch to fill in the GAP of Crush2.0, but i still believe it is worthless to work on it.

Ouch. If you suggest something that you believe is worthless, then you are certainly either stupid or a (cruel) genius.

P.S.- When we talk Crush2.0 it means it is released along Debian6.0,
Crush3.0 with Debian7.0 and so on.

Beware that Debian releases are not always major bumps. Or has that been formalized recently?

 - Jonas