Fwd: Crush 2.0 abandoned -- Review and Feedback from Neil's Post of August 7th

Hello Everyone,

Again, my thanks to Neil once again for his insight and expert advice on the list of issues he put together for Crush 2.0. I also thank the other members of the list that have joined this discussion with their own comments, insights, and recommendations.

So far, two major themes continue to echo in the feedback on this issue:
  1. Level of expertise needed to address the Crush 2.0 project as a whole
  2. Dependencies elements have on other issues either within main Debian or related projects.
  3. Organization of sufficient collective effort/resources to gain traction and momentum to solve the Crush 2.0 challenges both now and in the future as the project moves ahead.
Losing Neil's insight and expertise, even temporarily, is a serious challenge to progress. However, we all know he's not in a position to do anything further on any this for the foreseeable future.

**** CLIMBING THE LEARNING CURVE

In his post, Neil wisely points out this crisis results primarily because the Crush 2.0 project has relied mainly if not solely on him. The remedy of this central and critical weakness  is greater collective effort, albeit in small steps at first. The challenges he highlights are daunting at first glance, but not insurmountable providing we all agree to have a greater role and stake in the project.

None of us alone has all the expertise or skills  to bring this off. So more of us have to weight in and help to share the responsibility Neil shouldered. Crush 2.0 can get done, and as we commit to getting it done, along the way the work can get easier.

I'm not simply cheer leading here. Crush 2.0 's 'learning curve' issue is not unique it's common to open source projects and its been solved before. Every serious OSS project "evolves" from one driven by a sole developer to a larger common effort. That evolution is driven by shared learning.

So the solution is we first recognize it, and then do what other OSS projects has done; we dig in, break down the big problems until their small enough to solve, and work together to solve them. And when we get stuck, we look around and do what 'lazy programmers' always do:  borrow, adapt and use whatever we can. Naively, I say the solution to each of these problems is "out there", so lets go find it.

**** DEPENDENCIES

If someone hasn't already done so, perhaps one of us will break out those items on Neil's list of issues that have the greatest dependencies and present let's discuss ways to address them. , as someone famous once said, "no problem is opaque if you have enough people putting their eyes on it".

Package issues, library issues, tool issues ... these are common OSS project challenges and again there's a way of cutting this Gordian Knot since other projects have done so.  If we need advice from outside this project, then let's post the problem on the right mail list and get better eyes on it.

***** ORGANIZATION/RESOURCES

This is where the proverbial rubber meets the road: its sound off and sign up time. It's obvious to us all the organization of this project has to change in several ways. All of us have a stake in making those changes. So anyone who can probably should offer their advice on how to bring this change forward. Recommendations are welcome; commitments are encouraged.

Again, thanks to everyone for listening and contributing so far.

Prince