Re: Problem using apt-cross.

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 17:34:57 +0100
Sebai Takieddine <sebai.taki@gmail.com> wrote:

Please either write to the list or file a bug against apt-cross in
Debian - I can't guarantee to answer private email, it could easily get
lost in time.

> I am student, and I created a root file system (debian based) for arm
> and I want to install in it a vls.
> I used emdebian-tools(emsandbox, em_autobuild, emsetup ...).
> My host is i386 with Debian Lenny 5.0.
> My question is, does "apt-cross -i vls" is correct or "apt-cross" just
> download the toolchains  and libraries ?

apt-cross is primarily for libraries after the toolchain is installed,
so apt-cross -i $package is correct.

Is there something I can add to the manpage to clarify this?

> Are there any may to do this procedure (root file system (arm,sparc..)
> + packages ) on my host machines ?

Define host. Host in Emdebian normally means the HandHeld, the small
device, the board, the embedded bit. BuilD = Desktop, the laptop, the
PC.

apt-cross runs on the desktop to provide the cross'd packages that are
needed when compiling and linking cross-built packages. apt-cross is
therefore only necessary for machines that are cross-building the
packages, not the machines running the cross-built package.

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/