Re: apt-cross trying to read home users file

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:13:25 -0300
Marco Túlio Gontijo e Silva <marcot@holoscopio.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to run apt-cross, but I'm getting these error messages:

apt-cross puts the cache data in the home directory of the user running
apt-cross.

> marcot@zezinho:~$ LANG=C ls .apt-cross
> ls: cannot access .apt-cross: No such file or directory

> marcot@zezinho:~$ LANG=C sudo apt-cross -u -a arm

Don't use sudo. There is no need to run sudo with apt-cross.

> Could not open file /home/marcot/.apt-cross/status - open (2 No such
> file or directory)
> The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
> You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
> Could not open
> file /home/marcot/.apt-cross/unstable/lists/localhost:9999_debian_dists_unstable_main_source_Sources
> - open (2 No such file or directory) marcot@zezinho:~$

That isn't an issue, it's just an annoying warning that apt won't stop
printing.

> Note: I'm using approx.
>
> Is this the expected behaviour of the first run of apt-cross?

Compare with:

Could not open file /home/foo/.apt-cross/status - open (2 No such file
or directory) The package lists or status file could not be parsed or
opened. You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
Checking unstable on arm using apt sources
debug: recreating /home/foo/.apt-cross/sources.unstable
Updating apt-cache for arm
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable Release.gpg [197B]
Get:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable Release [94.4kB]
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable Release
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Packages
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Packages
Err http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Packages
  404 Not Found
Fetched 94.6kB in 2s (47.2kB/s)
You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

The 404 is because I selected arm which doesn't exist anymore in Debian
unstable.

To test this, I used:

$ sudo pbuilder login
# apt-get install adduser apt-cross
# adduser foo
# su foo
$ cd
~$ apt-cross -a arm -v -c

The line about sources is because this is a pbuilder chroot and I
forgot to add a deb-src and do an apt-get update.

However, using a fresh pbuilder login again and selecting armel instead
of arm in the same process, everything is fine:

foo@dwarf:~$ apt-cross -a armel -v -u
Could not open file /home/foo/.apt-cross/status - open (2 No such file
or directory) The package lists or status file could not be parsed or
opened. You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list
Updating armel cache using sources.unstable
debug: recreating /home/foo/.apt-cross/sources.unstable
Updating apt-cache for armel
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable Release.gpg [197B]
Get:2 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable Release [94.4kB]
Ign http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable Release
Get:3 http://ftp.uk.debian.org unstable/main Packages [5618kB]
Fetched 5713kB in 43s
(132kB/s) Reading package lists... Done
You must put some 'source' URIs in your sources.list

http://e-mail.is-not-s.ms/