Re: Experience with LH7A404 ?

Hello Bill,

Am 2008-03-07 10:10:51, schrieb Bill Gatliff:
> www.arm.linux.org.uk

Ah ok...

> It's "AVR32", a completely different architecture designed by Atmel to
> compete with ARM.  So far, it looks like pretty good stuff.
>
> Support for AVR32 chips still isn't fully into mainline, but they have a
> pretty active user community and some hardware is pretty cheap.  Google,
> links aren't coming to mind right now...

I asume, it is working with Linux, but this mean, I can not use Debian?

This will force me to port and rebuild over 400 Debian-Packages
(not realy funny)

> There's no technical reason why Debian wouldn't run on AVR32, but I
> don't know if anyone is doing that yet.  It's not planned for Lenny
> AFAIK.  I've seen mention of some Debian packages for the cross
> compilers, though.

I have already a graphic processor with a 480x256 64color matrix running
on my LH7A404...  but currently I am programming the CPU with ASM...  :-)
to learn, HOW I have to build my system, since I am using devices which
do not exist on any ARM (computers) which you can buy...

Note:   I am using a CF-Card since curently I can not load ANY data
        remotely; I have to build the Hardware and something else my
        own... It is realy  funny, but One time I like to see Debian
        running on this Self-Made-Computer.

> >The DS80C411 can be programmed usin SDCC but how,
> >if it crash all the time?
>
> Ugh.  Ethernet on an 8051 is... interesting.  :)  And I've never been
> very happy with the few times I've played with sdcc either.

Even if it is 10/100 compatible, you will not get more then 3.5 Mbit.

And of cource, to get Ethernet running, you have to use an additional
chip:  Intel LTX972A

Hell, I have printed over 300 PDF's with more then 3931 pages...
(Ok, I print two pages per side and recto-verso and have already 9 files
for it...  and have to print again 4000 Pages and need more files...)

Pic:  <http://freenet-homepage.de/michelle.konzack/electronica/files.jpg>
      (I hope this is working now, since I have had problems with the upload)

> If you want little chips, Atmel's AVR8 stuff is pretty well supported by
> gcc.  But I don't think there are any with built-in ethernet.  You'd
> have to add a chip, like this guy apparently did:
>
> http://www.avrfreaks.net/index.php?module=Freaks%20Tools&func=viewItem&item_id=357
>
> But the AVR8 chips will never, ever run Debian--- they just don't have
> the firepower for Linux.  They're 8-bitters, just like your 8051 example.

Yes, this is WHY I was searching for an ARM9* or ARM11

I have several projects and for one of them I need a VERY powerful CPU
but the PCB'S for VIA C7 are very complex to build so I was searchin in
the ARM community...  maybe an error but my "bigger" computer should not
more consume as 5 Watt (without display) since I have only Li+ Batteries
of 3.7V/5A (flatpack of arround 150x50x6mm)

> There's another problem--- design control.  You'll probably never get
> schematics for such a board, and if you do then it'll probably consist
> of a bunch of "glue logic" hidden inside of undocumented boxes.  That's
> the case with a project I'm working on right now, and I dislike it
> immensely.
>
> ARM, PPC and MIPS platforms, due to their simplicity compared to
> anything PC, are manageable even when you don't have schematics.  At
> least to me.

I have the same experience too...

> Recommend that you poke around with Atmel's AP7000 (AVR32) network
> gateway evaluation kit (<$100).  If you want an out-of-the-box Debian
> ARM experience, try a Thecus n2100 or NSLu2.  If you want to do kernel
> hacking, poke around with some of the boards on linuxdevices.com.

I have a NSLU2...  but after an upgrade for 3 of 4 month the filesystem
was crashed and I have not found the nerv to reinstall it...  :-(

> Myself, I use Cogent Computer System's boards almost exclusively.  I
> like them, they're durable, and the company is nice to work with.

Maybe I can use "ready-to-use-boards" but my problem is the size,
exactly they must be very flat and more long then width...

But since I am reading the documentations of ARM9, ARM922T, ARM11, PPC
MIPS and SH I am realy motivated to continue since it does not require
much to get Linux running on it...

Maybe you have to code your own device driver but this is not realy a
thing since they are many examples in the kernel-tree

Note:  I try to get some Dallas 1-Wire chips running since in the kernel
       is only the temperature sensor but I need the DS2405, DS2406,
       DS2408 (8-channel addressable switch), DS2413, DS2417, DS2438
       (Smart Battery Monitor) and DS2450 (Quad A/D Converter).

       Also I am reading in "I²C Specification" and there are nice chips
       which I can integrate in my several projects...  But currently I
       do not know HOW difficult it is, to code the I²C stuff, but it
       seems, that nearly ALL CPUs of ARM, PPC, and MIPS supporting it
       more or less directly.

       I have even gotten an Evaluations Kit for the DS2482-100 which is
       a I²C to 1-Wire Master...

Do not ask me HOW my Appartement looks like...
(a submarin is nothing against)

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    24V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

+49/177/9351947    50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)