Re: Experience with LH7A404 ?

Michelle Konzack wrote:
Hello,

Currently I am working on a new (Solar/Wind) project and have the need
for a selfmade controller for which I am searching a Micro-Controller.

I like to use the LH7A404 from <http://www.nxp.com/> (Philips Semicond.)
which is based on a ARM922T (I have already downloaded the Techical
Reference for it) and like to know, whether someone of you has an
experience with this Micro-Controller...

I haven't used the chip myself, but I don't see a whole lot of discussion about it in linux-arm-kernel. Could be because the support is very mature and doesn't need much discussion, but could be because the support is slowly bit-rotting. :)

The AT91RM9200 support in mainline is very good, as is the SAM9 stuff. Also, if you'd like an inexpensive but high-performance chip, the AVR32 family is pretty nice. It isn't ARM, and the support is still maturing, but so far I'm impressed and there's a US$79 evaluation board available.

I like to use ARM-Based Emdebian in a CF-Card or NV SRAM to get better
updates or features in it.  Using a Dallas Semiconductor DS80C411 would
be nicer because its integrated Serial/Ethernet interfaces plus Web-
Server but it need a proprietary programmation (TINIOS use 33
instructions) and can not realy enhanced since Keil's C-Compiler is
non-free and PythonMQ does not more exist.

Yea, I'm not a big fan of the non-Free stuff anymore, either. I'm spoiled. :)

If you go with Flash-based nonvolatile solutions, make sure you mount your rootfs with noatime to help reduce the number of update cycles. Otherwise, you'll notice the performance hit right away and you'll burn holes in your flash longer-term.

HTH,

b.g.

--
Bill Gatliff