Re: who is working on i386

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 08:09 -0500, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Neil Williams wrote:
> >
> > The docs on emdebian.org certainly need improving - especially for
> > native builds like yours.
>
> Are native builds generally working?

Haven't had time to test - probably.

> Reason I ask is, I have an armel platform here that runs Debian sid just fine.
> But cross-building emdebian armel from amd64 isn't quiiiite there yet.

It should only be a matter of fixing the few arm-linux-gnu.cache files
to contain any relevant changes for armel in a new
armel.linux-gnueabi.cache file and then adding that to SVN. The builds
that need cache files will fail because the arm-linux-gnu.cache file
will only be used if dpkg-architecture -qDEB_HOST_GNU_TYPE exactly
matches "arm-linux-gnu" so the build will get the wrong cache values or,
more typically, the build will halt in ./configure when it tries to
calculate the values that would have come from the cache file. These
calculations generally involve writing a test C file, compiling it
(which would be OK) and then executing it (which is not) to read the
results from STDIN. The cache file simply sets the value beforehand,
skipping the calculation entirely. I'm not expecting many packages that
do not have ARM cache files already to need them for armel.

>  If
> native builds are working, the platform is beefy enough to pull it off.

I've been pre-occupied with ARM to the extent that although I have tried
to ensure that native builds are still usable (the last time we worked
explicitly on those was at CELF [0]) there may have been some hidden
assumptions creeping into the patches.

Basically, if people want to try native builds, please let me know what
problems are encountered.

[0] http://www.emdebian.org/News/2007/20071103.html