Use the toolchain not to make .deb files

Hello,

I want to port a small programm to my arm-based handheld.
>From the man page I understand, that the emdebian toolchain will make it
possible for me to make .deb files for the target architecture (arm).
The thing is, I am not able to install .deb files for this device. I
need a locally executable file/directory. Is it possible to extract
something like that from the resulting .deb file, or do I need to
compile that package manually (not using em_make)

Thanks a lot,
nori