Re: emchain: Mismatch in source versions

On 2007-11-07 22:13 +0100, Harald Krammer wrote:

> Hi all,
> thank you for the Embedded Debian tutorial on CELF.

Thanx for the feedback here, with relevant details :-)

> Now I will try to run Emdebian on my Arm-board,

Are you actually running it on your arm board, or running it on an x86
host and targetting the arm board?

> but I get following
> error message after calling of emchain:

> emchain: Error. Mismatch in source versions
> armel does not appear to have built version 2.7-0exp6 of libc6 successfully
> yet. Therefore it is unlikely that emchain will be able to build a usable
> cross-compiler using the current upstream source of libc6. Only version
> 2.6.1-6 is available on armel and emchain is unable to proceed.
> Please run emchain again when the armel port has updated.

This may well be correct.
http://unstable.buildd.net/buildd/armel_Building.html suggests that
glibc 2.7-0exp6 has indeed not yet built (it is currently building)

In this case you probably just want to install the pre-built
toolchains from emdebian.org:
http://www.emdebian.org/tools/crosstools.html

> emdeb@saturn:~$ emsetup --verbose --simulate
> emdeb@saturn:~$ emsetup --report
> #Checking apt cache data is up to date ...
> Checking status of toolchain packages ...
> Unable to find a toolchain suitable for Emdebian on i386.
> No packages found matching binutils-arm-linux-gnueabi.
> No packages found matching gcc-2.95-arm-linux-gnueabi-base.
> No packages found matching gcc-2.95-arm-linux-gnueabi.
> No packages found matching cpp-2.95-arm-linux-gnueabi.
> No packages found matching g++-2.95-arm-linux-gnueabi.

This is rather odd. I don't know why it is looking for gcc2.95, but
there has never been a 2.95 armel cross-compiler (or compiler for
that matter) so this isn't going to work. why emsetup is defaulting to
2.95 I don't know. Neil?

> I think if a pre-build toolchain is not found or not available emchain
> can try to build it or?

Yes. emchain tries to build a current toolchain if emsetup doesn't
find one installed.

> If I look on my system it is unclear for me why it will build a
> toolchain with glibc 2.7-0exp6.

emchain always tries to use the very latest available packages. In
this case it is trying to use one that is available on some arches,
but not this one, which isn't very helpful. There may be room for
improvement there.

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/