Re: emchain: Mismatch in source versions

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:13:59 +0100
Harald Krammer <Harald.Krammer@hkr.at> wrote:

> emchain: Error. Mismatch in source versions
> armel does not appear to have built version 2.7-0exp6 of libc6
> successfully yet. Therefore it is unlikely that emchain will be able to
> build a usable cross-compiler using the current upstream source of
> libc6. Only version 2.6.1-6 is available on armel and emchain is unable
> to proceed.
> Please run emchain again when the armel port has updated.
>
> Force enabled, trying to continue ...
> Forced packages will not be installed by emchain.
> Reading package lists...
> Building dependency tree...
> Reading state information...
> E: Unable to find a source package for glibc

Sorry, Harald. Debian is just plain broken right now. No new toolchains
can be built because one of the glibc maintainers uploaded the wrong
version - what should have gone into experimental was uploaded to
unstable and to prevent even more breakage, it was then deliberately
broken so that the existing binary packages would not be replaced.
Until a new version is available, there *is* no glibc in Debian
unstable.

There's nothing emchain can do to help you here - it's just not
possible to build glibc in unstable right now.

Hector: do you know of any armel toolchains that have already been
built? Maybe it is possible to build an armel toolchain from sources in
Debian testing? emchain can't do that, it needs to be a manual build.

Harald : All I can say right now is to wait until Debian sorts this out
or use the existing toolchains for arm instead in the meantime.

> I think if a pre-build toolchain is not found or not available emchain
> can try to build it or?

Sorry, Debian is just too broken for emchain to do anything useful at
this stage.

> If I look on my system it is unclear for me why it will build a
> toolchain with glibc 2.7-0exp6.

Because 2.7 is the only source package available in unstable - it
replaced the 2.6.1 source when it was uploaded but because of the
breakage that would result, no binaries have been allowed to be built
from 2.7 in unstable. Debian is in the bizarre situation of
distributing binaries for which it no longer has the full source. (The
orig.tar.gz exists in testing but the .diff.gz appears to have been
lost, only an earlier .diff.gz exists.)

It happened Thu, 01 Nov 2007 02:02:04 - i.e. just before CELF whilst
Wookey and I were busy testing the rootfs for the tutorial. (It
was yet another late night!) Unknown to us, Debian was already broken
before we arrived in Linz.

http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/glibc/news/20071101T020204Z.html

A fix is due in a few days.