Re: OLPC and embedded debian

Wookey wrote:

This is fairly arbitrary but there are real differences in how you
work (building things) if you can use 'more of less normal debian
(like on en NSLU2)' or need something a lot smaller than that (like on
an early ipaq or in a router).

Ok.  Thats a reasonable distinction.

Large ram and flash space aside the the system would be quite nice for an embedded PC setup. Single 12V power, fanless CPU, onboard NAND, built in UPS (battery), low power, small footprint.

OK. So that means you are not using a native debian arch anymore.
There is current debate within emdebian about how much to support
things beyond the standard arches, and if so, how (more arches, ABI
control file options, specific libc6-geode packages etc).

Hmmm.. Didn't think about that. I would guess that supporting non-native debian arches is probably not worth the hassle. If you have to re-compile the entire system then I imagine you have lost most of the ability to leverage the std debian packages.

This is what the XO's fedora core based dist currently does. Most of the packages are stock FC and we only recompile the things that give us a large performance gain.

--
Richard A. Smith
smithbone@gmail.com