Re: OLPC and embedded debian

Wookey wrote:

I get one board and we are 5 or 6 people in this case.
So I was thinking to use embedded debian list and repo for this project.

what do you think ?

I think it's a good idea. The OLPC is a nice 'small system' (not
really an embedded system).

I'm curious for your reasoning behind this thinking. I feel like the XO is more like an embedded system than a normal PC.

Whats your criteria for the hardware that makes up an embedded system?

Your life is somewhat simplified because your build and target arches
are probably the same. Testing the tools on native builds is not
something that has happened yet (SFAIK). Tell us how it goes...

If you compile for say i[345]86 then yes this is true but we have both gcc and libc performance optimizations that are specific to the geode and require cross-compile. Although its possible to do native development on the XO its not something we recommend. At least not on a B1 or a B2. B3 with the faster LX and 256MiB of ram may make that more of an option.

--
Richard A. Smith
smithbone@gmail.com