Re: Fwd: Status of gcc-4.0

[continuing this discussion on-list]

On 2007-03-25 09:30 +0200, Matthias Klose wrote:
> Hector Oron writes:
> > Hello Matthias,
> >
> >   We are doing an effort to maintain a cross toolchain in sync with
> > debian one at www.emdebian.org.
>
> cool, maybe we should have met at Fosdem, but I was all the time in
> the java sessions.
>
> >   I remember to read somewhere that gcc-4.0 was going to pass away for
> > most of the Debian arches.
> >   Could you, please, tell us where to read or what are the plans for
> > gcc-4.0 toolchain?
>
> well, 4.0 will be part of etch, but as you say, just used on hppa. I'm
> unsure if you do want to base your work on 4.0.  4.1.2 from
> experimental might be a better idea.  If you want to target lenny,
> maybe go ahead with 4.2.

We do our best to support all the versions of gcc that are available in
each debian suite. But this does depend on cross-build tools building and
actually producing valid code.

> When disabling binary packages for the native builds, I may break the
> cross targets unintentionally. It's somewhat important that you
> regularily check gcc & binutils versions from experimental for such
> things (at the moment the build of libgcc1 and libstdc++6 from the 4.1
> in experimental is disabled, didn't check for the cross build).

OK. We are currently only building unstable tools and letting them
percolate down into testing and stable. There is no reason why we
shouldn't include experimental in this process, so we will try and do
so.

> btw, please see that gcc-4.1-source, gcc-4.2-source and
> binutils-source are now in the archive, so it should be easy to build
> cross packages just by build-depending on these packages.

Hmm. Building from the toolchain-source package was deprecated a
couple of years back, for good reasons, IMHO, so we build from the
standard source packages (e.g gcc-4.1). I'm not sure what would be
gained by build-dep-ing on the above binary-namespace source packages?

Apologies if I am missing something obvious here.

> Let me know,
> what else is needed as "source package" (newlib, glibc?)

Well currently only binutils and gcc are built from source. Libraries
are just downloaded and convered for cross-building with dpkg-cross.
But for new arches glibc needs to be built from source (and maybe
uclibc one day).

But this refers back to the above question of how these binary
source-packages help. Currently the cross-builds can not be done by the
normal build system because that doesn't know about the jiggery-pokery
needed for cross-building (see
http://buildd.emdebian.org/svn/browser/current/emdebian/trunk/buildcross/trunk/
for the sordid details).

Principal hats:  Balloonz - Toby Churchill - Aleph One - Debian
http://wookware.org/

believed to be clean.