Re: Debian & Nokia 770

On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:30:06 +0200
Ed Bartosh <eduard.bartosh@nokia.com> wrote:
> My suggestion is to use current emdebian packages if they're available
> and try to build rootfs out of them.
>
> BTW, what's the status of this? Does emdebian have some packages to
> start with? libc, busybox?

1. The emdebian website shows the status of the toolchain and target
packages. Target packages: http://www.emdebian.org/packages/search.php
http://www.emdebian.org/packages/search.php?package=busybox&arch=arm&distro=unstable
There are problems with libc right now, strip doesn't appear to being
called correctly leading to truly massive binary packages.
http://www.emdebian.org/packages/search.php?package=libc6&distro=unstable&arch=arm
libc6 for arm libc6_2.3.6.ds1-9em1_arm.deb (9.08Mb download, 26.20Mb
installed.) Needs a tweak in debian/rules but I haven't found the
answer yet.

2. Recent work has actually concentrated on the toolchains and in
particular, getting the toolchains into sync with Debian. (A little
more work is needed to complete that task). {In particular, what to do
about gcc-4.0.}

3. I'm on hols right now and can't dig into this any further right now.

4. The current version of emdebian-tools (0.1.0) in Debian unstable
should be sufficient to build the packages you need, certainly for arm.
I've tried to document the changes that may be required to
cross-compile the Debian package for the first time, via the manpages
in emdebian-tools. I've got a variety of test builds of packages at
home and once the toolchains are synchronised, I'm planning on
rebuilding all my local test builds for Emdebian. Bug reports /
patches / documentation clarifications etc. welcome to the normal
places.

5. So far, builds have been done more to test the emdebian composite
method and the emdebian-tools scripts themselves. I've got bogged down
in a program to help coordinate package building (empath in Emdebian
SVN) which needs a new recursive algorithm. I've got ideas for the new
algorithm but no new code yet. (Zumbi: emsource uses source/ in
Emdebian SVN so that needs to be changed if that tree is to be moved.)

6. Once I'm back from hols (end of this week), I'll update the emdebian
website content with the current status. Other pages include my
Debian Wiki page: http://wiki.debian.org/NeilWilliams and my blog:
http://www.linux.codehelp.co.uk/serendipity/ (new)

7. All suggestions and tips are welcome, anyone who builds a package
for Emdebian is welcome to check their emdebian patch files into
Emdebian SVN (or post to the mailing list so that someone with SVN
access can commit them for you). Any updates to the Emdebian pages on
the Debian wiki are also welcome, as are ideas / updates for the main
emdebian website content.