Re: Some further questions

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 13:37:56 +0800 (CST)
Jarod Wang <mailtojarod@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:

> I am not sure whether following questions on embedded
> GUI are off-topic here in this list, but they relly
> have confused me for a long time:
>
> AFASIK, there are many hot words in the field of
> embedded GUI, such as: framebuffer, X Window,
> DirectFB, SDL, QT/Embedded, GTK+. They really made me
> confused.

There is nothing particularly "embedded" about those - framebuffers,
X11 / X windows, Qt and GTK+ are standard GNU/Linux packages. You can
find out about most of those from your package manager on your desktop
machine or via the Debian Packages pages:
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/xorg
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/source/gtk+2.0

Others can be looked up using Google:
http://www.directfb.org/

There's an example graph of how such things work together here:
http://gpe.linuxtogo.org/projects/

QtEmbedded is just a smaller version of Qt - the main graphics library
of KDE. Gtk+ is the main graphics library of Gnome. In the embedded
world, Opie is more like KDE, so uses QtEmbedded and GPE is more like
Gnome so uses Gtk+. Gtk+ doesn't really need an embedded release of
it's own, Emdebian will be packaging it directly, only smaller.

> In my view, "framebuffer" is a kind of Linux device
> driver(I can find a charater device node /dev/fb0 on
> my i386 box); And "X Window", "DirectFB" and "SDL"
> seems resides on the same layer - they both provide
> low level mechanism to access graphics subsystem and
> user interaction. "GTK+" and "QT/Embedded" are widget
> toolkits(libraries).
>
> I'd really like to know am I right in understanding
> these stuff?  ANY hints would be highly appreciated.

Do you run GNU/Linux on your desktop machine? Put these queries to the
package manager of that box - e.g. apt-cache search - and get some idea
of the number of packages involved, explore some of the Homepage
links ...