Re: apt-cross --install behaviour

On Sat, 18 Nov 2006 15:32:33 +0000
Neil Williams <linux@codehelp.co.uk> wrote:

> Looking at apt-cross, it should behave more like apt in this scenario -

and another scenario too:

apt-cross --status

I'm thinking this should actually behave more like

apt-cache show

It currently behaves like

dpkg --status

The difference is that apt-cross should be querying the apt-cache,
not /var/lib/dpkg/status. It should be offering the status of available
packages to allow a comparison with the status of installed packages.

I may reuse the -s option to apt-cross and rename --status as --show
for clarity.

This then means that apt-cross -L has no real role: if it's querying
available packages, some of which are not installed, --list-files
really cannot hope to achieve a lot. It's best left to dpkg-cross -
just as apt does. I propose to drop -L.

apt-cross -l also needs tweaking. I'd like to make it more like
apt-cache pkgnames and less like dpkg -l.

Most of these changes are needed to help emchain become smoother and less
finicky. Some (like -l) are just "the line of least surprise".

> Before I change the behaviour of the existing option in apt-cross
> v0.0.4, would this cause a problem for anyone?

I've got a few other things to clear up in apt-cross - ensuring
--update always fixes as many problems and poor configurations as
possible - before apt-cross is finally ready for release. I'll probably
hold off on upload to Debian until after the Etch freeze. No need for
it in Etch, really.