dpkg-checkbuilddeps wrapper proposal

Hello.

Recently, while thinking about build-depends problems we are all familar with, I
came up with the following idea: what if all of the packages we intend
to cross-compile
would have a special control-like file in debian/, which would have
build-depends
in a way we need them, that is, Host-Build-Depends for those packages
that should
be present on host as is (such as flex, bison, whatever), and
Target-Build-Depends
for those packages that should be present on host dpkg-crossed.
If we are not cross-compiling, original dpkg-checkbuilddeps might be called.
If we are cross-compiling and the special control-like file is not
found, dpkg-checkbuilddeps
might just return with successful return code -- this situation would
mean that there
are no special build-depends (unlikely, yes).
Advantages of this approach are more or less obvious: we remove any wild guesses
from package building tools, and rely the task of providing correct
build-depends on
feeble maintainer's shoulders :)
Disadvantages: this is not a real control file. Thus, for example,
those fields will not
be present in .dsc, and, as a consequence, all of the package building
tools except
those that call dpkg-checkbuilddeps would not notice those fields
(sbuild, apt-get
build-dep, etc.). Tools that we might need in future (such as sbuild)
may be patched
to check this file if they run on an unpacked source (actually, sbuild
already does that,
checking debian/.sbuild-build-deps or something like that), but they
would still fail if they
run on a packed one with .dsc.
While this can easily be fixed patching dpkg-dev, I am not sure what
else will break
finding unusual fields in .dsc, and this will also introduce YADI (Yet
Another Debian
Incompatibility) which I'm not that happy about.

Attached is a sample implementation of this idea -- dpkg-checkbuilddeps wrapper
for dpkg-cross. If you wish to play with it, do not forget to switch
on checkbuilddep
in dpkg-buildpackage.orig for -a* case.

Usage is pretty simple: put a file (currently called "crossbuilddeps")
into debian/
of your package, and fill it with any of the fields "Host-Build-Depends",
"Target-Build-Depends", "Host-Build-Conflicts", "Target-Build-Conflicts". Please
also note that for Target-* you don't have to append "-<arch>-cross"
to package names,
as this is done automagically (at least, it should be ;).

Have fun and let me know what you guys think.

--
Regards, Wartan.